THE 20 QUESTIONS BOOK TAG

Good morning! I am back with another non-review post. This is one I've been working on for a little while. I first came across this interesting tag while visiting Bookish Brews. It's one of my most frequented book blogs. As a book blogger myself, I thought it would be good to take part in this tag. It also means something fresh to post, other than book reviews and discussion posts. Answering these questions was cool as well, and it'll give my blog visitors a better idea of what I like when it comes to books. Here are my responses:

***


How many books are too many books in a series?


I feel that would depend on the series. For instance, I’m really invested in the Old World Chronology (by Melissa F. Olson) and In the Company of Killers (by J.A. Redmerski) at the moment. Neither of these series are that long, but I wouldn’t mind if they went to 12 or more installments each in total. They are just so good. I would very likely start them today if I’d never read them before. There are some super-long series that seem excessive to me, though. Bella Forrest and Janet Evanovich come to mind. I'm sorry if you're a fan of them, but they have like 30 books per series. That'd take me almost half a year to read nonstop. My reading backlog is already miles long as it is.


How do you feel about cliffhangers?


They don’t bother me when done right, and when the book is getting a sequel. I can appreciate how cliffhangers build intrigue and make you more eager to continue the series. But it’s really disappointing when an author ends up abandoning the series. It’s even worse if you enjoyed the book. That almost makes me wish I could unread it.
 



Hardback or paperback?


Paperback most of the time. I prefer those (and ebooks) because they’re not as heavy to hold for extended periods. That matters to me because I read for at least one hour per sitting. I only buy hardcovers when I either really like the book and want it to stand out on my shelf, or when the cover art is really good.


Favorite book?



This is a hard question, as most bookworms would agree. I couldn’t choose just one favorite book. There are a whole bunch of novels I’ve read that I seriously liked. Having to pick just one, my choice is Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. I know I’m always praising a certain romance novel that made top of my favorite books read in the 2010s. I like sci-fi more than romance, though, and Skyward is one of the best in this genre that I’ve read so far. Spensa Nightshade is a driven, compelling character, and her world and story are so gripping.


Least favorite book?


I’m good at picking books I end up liking, so I’ve almost never read one that I’d rate under three stars. One comes to mind, though: Extracted by R.R. Haywood. This one is the worst novel I’ve read so far. Its premise was super interesting, but the author royally wasted it. Almost nothing happens in this one. The characters pretty much sit around for 400 pages just getting ready for the coming struggle. And their leader is a complete abruti. If the world's fate rested on his shoulders, it would be doomed.


Love triangles, yes or no?



I have nothing against love triangles. They can be entertaining. Love triangles aren’t my favorite romance novel plot device, but I don’t hate them either. Sometimes it can be intriguing to guess which love interest the protagonist is going to pick. I prefer when it’s a guy trying to pick between two girls, though. I read romance novels for the women, not the guys. Unfortunately, there are almost no MFF love triangle novels. Everyone's so into MFM instead.


The most recent book you just couldn't finish?


This was Harmony Black by Craig Schaefer. I really wanted to like it. I mean, an FBI agent who's secretly a witch? That's pretty awesome in my opinion. The book veered too close into horror territory, though. I don't like that kind of stuff.


A book you're currently reading?


As of today, I’m starting Empire Rising by Cheyanne Young. It's the last entry of a superhero fiction trilogy. The main character is Maci Knight, a young member of the Hero Brigade who must save society from a traitor. I had read the first book a few years ago, but I didn't like it as much as I do now. The series came back to my attention after it got re-released with new cover art this year.


Last book you recommended to someone?



Killing Sarai by J.A. Redmerski. It was to someone on Twitter who was asking about books with a character named Victor, Victoria, or a variation of them.


Oldest book you've read?


I mostly prefer reading books from this century. Despite that, I’m pretty curious about what bookworms read in the 16th or 17th centuries. I wonder what great novels there were back then. Anyway, the oldest books I’ve read are the Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The next oldest book I have read is Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.


Newest book you've read?


Going by original publication date, this would be A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas. It was published in February 2021. I finished it quite recently because I've been going through the ACOTAR series this year. Incidentally, when I checked the books that I've read, it surprised me a bit that I haven't read any other book released in 2021. I'll try to get around to that.


Favorite author?

This is a little bit easier than choosing a favorite book. Still, having to settle on just one is a tough choice. There are a few authors I’m a big fan of. I have to go with J.A. Redmerski for this question. She writes interesting, layered characters and thrilling stories. Redmerski can also handle two very different genres (romance and dark thrillers) incredibly well. You just can’t put down her books, they’re so good. I can’t wait to read the next entries of the In the Company of Killers series.


Buying or borrowing books?


I prefer to buy books, especially if I have a feeling that I’ll like them. I also check out books from the public library occasionally, though. I use Libby for this.


A book you dislike that everyone else seems to love?


This would probably be The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. I read it a while ago, but I have enough memory of it to know I won’t read it again. That book just wasn’t for me. I didn’t care for the characters, and the story was rather boring.


Bookmarks or dog-ears?


Bookmarks, period. I don’t damage my stuff on purpose. And the bookmark doesn’t have to be a fancy one. Pretty much any piece of paper or even cardstock will do.


A book you can always re-read?


Apart from the obvious (Harry Potter)? I think it would be a series, the Lizzy Gardner novels by T.R. Ragan. If I had to pick a single book, though, I’d choose On Dublin Street by Samantha Young. I don’t really care for the rest of the series; that one has everything I like in a good romance novel.


Can you read while listening to music?


No. It would be too distracting, even music without any lyrics.


One POV or multiple POVs?


I don’t have a preference here. Either works for me as long as there aren't too many POVs. Three is usually the max for me, but The One by John Marrs worked really well with five POVs. I was able to keep track of all those interwoven stories without difficulty.


Do you read a book in one sitting or multiple days?


Multiple days. If I read a book for a whole day straight, it would burn me out. I love to read, but you know what they say about too much of a good thing. I have no idea how anyone could finish your average 300-page novel in a single day.


Who do you tag?


Anyone who wants to take this quiz!

No comments:

Post a Comment