STATUS UPDATE: POSSIBLE SOCIAL NETWORK CHANGE & MID-YEAR REDESIGN

Good morning, people! I'm here with another status update. First, as you have no doubt noticed, I redesigned Ivan's Insights one more time. I hope the change isn't too jarring. While I am not overly concerned about page views, I still care about people visiting my blog. I don't write book reviews just to keep them to myself. Judging by its stats, I'd say the last redesign I gave Ivan's Insights didn't go over too well. I admit it wasn't its best look. I was going for a modern/futuristic-ish design, but it ended up leaving a bit to be desired. So now I've gone for a cleaner, more traditional look. Admittedly, Google's Blogger has a dearth of themes (let alone good ones), but this is the best I could manage for now. I don't normally change my blog's theme midway through the year, but it was needed.

On another subject, Twitter has been all over the news lately. Ever since Musk bought it, things have been going downhill. The latest brilliant move? To introduce rate limits, which means that the number of tweets you can view on Twitter per day is now limited. It's a preposterous change if you ask me. And if that wasn't enough, you now need to sign up for Twitter to view anything on it now. Mr. Musk's intention is to keep AI companies from having unfettered access to Twitter's data to train chatbots like ChatGPT. Whatever his claims, I'm with those that feel like Twitter is going to seed. Several months ago, I made a personal Hive Social account to see if it would be a good alternative. I was preparing to jump ship from Twitter, but Hive still isn't as popular as I expected.

Last Wednesday night, a new competitor to Twitter was launched. It's called Threads, a social network created by a veteran in the field: Meta. Yep, it's the same company that owns Instagram. That means if you have an account on that app, you can use it to log into your own Threads profile. This makes it so you can follow Threads accounts that you already follow on Instagram. Having such a vast built-in user base makes Threads perhaps the most promising Twitter alternative yet. For now it's only available as an iPhone and Android app, but that doesn't seem to be hurting it. I'll be following news updates for the meantime to see where things go. But if Threads' first day is anything to go by, it's very likely I'll open a new Ivan's Insights account there. When I do, I'm not going to write a whole post for it; I'll just tweet about it (ha!) and add the link to my About page here.

That's it for today. As usual, I'll keep posting new book reviews every Wednesday morning. My latest one was Speak of the Devil by Allison Leotta. You can read it at this link. Thank you for stopping by, and have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment