MY GOALS FOR 2020

Hello! This is me again, back with a new post. I had planned to write a tech-focused article, but it's the start of the year. I thought, why not list out my goals for 2020? I kind of did that in a previous post, though there are a few things I'd like to add. Here it goes:

LAND A JOB THAT I LIKE AND THAT MATCHES MY SKILLS

Over the past few years, I've had some trouble finding work. I don't know why, I've only ever applied to jobs for which I can perform the tasks required. I live in a small town too, so that gives me limited choices. As I mentioned in my "Welcome" post, I became an author because I can't sit around doing nothing. At the same time I also went to college to study computer technology. That partly helped me get a job as an IT support technician. I enjoyed the work and I'm very tech-savvy, though that wasn't enough. It didn't help that college did little to prepare me for it; most of what I know about tech, I taught myself. Now I'm seeking a job in a field that's a good match for my skills and knowledge. There's one I'm more skilled at than tech: languages and proofreading/editing. The latter one is a competitive field, but that doesn't intimidate me. A job dealing with investigative work (not related to repairing things) would appeal to me too. Researching and finding out facts is something I'm great at.

BECOME COMFORTABLE ENOUGH WITH FRENCH TO SPEAK SMOOTHLY

I've been teaching myself French since the start of 2016. That was four years ago, and I can understand it well today. I'm able to read and listen to French without much effort, but still need to get better at speaking and writing it. French is my third language—I know English and Spanish too. My native language is English, so I'm a tad better at it than Spanish. French is catching up to my level of Spanish, though. That's saying a lot, considering I learned my first two languages from childhood. This year I want to meet or exceed that level. I want to be able to communicate in French without pausing too often.

LEARN NEW SKILLS

I enjoy learning new things. One of the areas I like to keep up to date with is computer and phone technology. I find it fascinating, mostly because of all the stuff they can do. I couldn't see myself living in an earlier time. Anyway, this year (and decade) I want to teach myself new stuff. Right now, I'm trying my hand at programming, which is the most difficult tech-related skill for me. Computer language isn't easy to understand, partly because it's reminiscent of math formulas. It was my worst subject in school. The language I'm trying to learn is C#, which I've read is one of the most versatile. I'll see how it goes. Also, I'm considering learning another spoken language. I enjoyed learning French, so I would like to do it again. This time it'd be for fun; it doesn't have to be a "useful" language. I haven't decided which one yet, though Russian has caught my eye.

MOVE TO ANOTHER CITY

This is the biggest goal I've had since graduating from high school. I don't like my town, so I've been itching to move. It's partly because there aren't a lot of places to go to have fun. There is an entertainment center sometimes used for concerts. Only, I don't like any of the musicians who have ever played there. I'll say the likes of Ellie Goulding or Paramore, or even Zedd or Dua Lipa would never come here. As for sports, there isn't much to like either. There are no big-name local teams, and most people here like soccer, while I much prefer baseball or tennis. I also want to move because, as a small town, there aren't as many job openings as in larger cities. Also, a large part of them are in the import/export industry, one of my least favorites. I'd have to learn all sorts of laws, even international ones, and that doesn't interest me at all. I believe that moving elsewhere would make it easier to find work. I'm considering Austin, or a city close to it. I've visited Austin a bunch of times and liked it very much. It's a lot better than my town, and I'd rather not leave Texas.

***

Those are my main goals for 2020. They are all quite attainable, though I'm not sure about the last one. That may take me a little longer than a year. Still, I'm going to focus on them. By the end of this year, I want to have met most of those goals. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment