THE TOP 10 BOOKS I READ IN 2019

Greetings! It’s me again, and this is the post that influenced my need for a blog. Reading is my favorite pastime, so I get through lots of books every year. I’ve been keeping track of what I read on Goodreads since 2013. That means this is the seventh consecutive year since I really got into reading. 2013 was also the year I first bought a Kindle, which allowed me to read as much as I want. I don't have a preference for ebooks, but they’re very affordable. 

This year, I’ve read 49 new books. I read fiction (mystery, romance, sci-fi) almost exclusively. I also read nonfiction, although I don’t register those. I sort of reserve Goodreads for pleasure reads rather than learning reads. Below, I’ve chosen the 10 books I liked the most. I’m starting the list from the bottom, and finish the list with my favorite book of the year. Here it is:


10. DESTROYER by Brett Battles

Genre: Science Fiction
My rating: 4 stars – Definitely enjoyed it!

Destroyer is the second book in the Rewinder trilogy by Brett Battles. The trilogy is about Denny Younger, a young man from an alternate reality. He works as a Rewinder, a historian who uses a time machine to verify notable events in history. In Destroyer, Denny is living in our world after leaving his home reality behind. He likes the “new” timeline better because his own was a dystopia. It’s not long before a forgotten threat comes back for revenge. Denny will have to race across time to save his new reality before it’s too damaged to restore.

9. CASSIDY JONES AND THE SECRET FORMULA by Elise Stokes

Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction
My rating: 4 stars – Definitely enjoyed it!

This is a book I’ve been wanting to read for some time. The premise is what piqued my interest. The Secret Formula is book one of the Cassidy Jones Adventures. It’s about a teenage girl who gains powers after a lab accident. Before Cassidy has fully grasped what’s happened to her, the scientist who created the formula goes missing. Seeking answers, Cassidy befriends the scientist’s son Emery. He’s a child genius who knew a lot about the secret formula. After getting to know Emery, Cassidy decides to help him find his mother. Even with powers, can a fifteen-year-old be able to go up against a band of thugs and save the day?

8. A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU by Claudia Gray

Genre: Science Fiction
My rating: 4.5 stars – A fantastic page-turner!

This novel is the first in the Firebird trilogy. The main character, Marguerite Caine, is the daughter of two prominent scientists. They’ve invented the Firebird, a device that allows the wearer to travel into parallel universes. The book starts with Mr. Caine’s apparent murder. The main suspect, the Caine’s assistant, uses a Firebird to escape the law. Marguerite chases him through multiple universes, vowing not to let him get away with murder. But as she meets different versions of people she knows, Marguerite gets closer to discovering the actual truth about her father’s death.

7. THE CONTROVERSIAL PRINCESS by Jodi Ellen Malpas

Genre: Romance
My rating: 4.5 stars – A fantastic page-turner!

Though I’m a guy, I like romance books (just not sappy, sugary ones). This one caught my attention because of the star-crossed lovers and the royal family drama. Princess Adeline is the daughter of the King of England. She’s just turned 30, and fears she’ll be unable to refuse an arranged marriage much longer. Princess Adeline is determined to marry for love. At her birthday party, the princess meets Josh Jameson, an acclaimed American actor. From their first meeting, it’s instant attraction. Josh is the first guy Princess Adeline has ever had true feelings for. Unfortunately, they must keep their relationship a secret. The princess knows her family would never let them be together.

6. GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell

Genre: Historical Fiction
My rating: 4.5 stars – A fantastic page-turner!

This is a classic that has been called the Great American Novel, so I wanted to see what it was about. It was long—the longest book I’ve ever read—but really good. The protagonist is Scarlett O’Hara, the proud daughter of a plantation owner. She's secretly infatuated with one Ashley Wilkes, even though he’s marrying someone else. Scarlett’s life is changed forever with the start of the American Civil War. With her comforts and status gone, Scarlett must learn how to survive in the new world. Over the course of several years, Scarlett fights for what she wants: her desired lifestyle, and the man she’s reluctant to give up on. This story is gripping because, as calculating and self-centered as Scarlett may be, you can’t help but root for her.

5. AS DUST DANCES by Samantha Young

Genre: Romance
My rating: 4.5 stars – A fantastic page-turner!

I’ve read a few of this author’s books, and she’s a good writer. When I came across As Dust Dances, I knew I would like it. The main character, Skylar Finch, is a famous lead singer for an American pop-rock band. A sudden tragedy leaves Skylar devastated, and she vanishes. Over a year later, she turns up on the streets of Glasgow, Scotland. Skylar has been making a living by busking. Killian O’Dea, a record label executive, comes across her. Moved by her talent, he works to persuade Skylar to sign to his label. Skylar refuses, until she experiences the dangers of a homeless life. A connection forms between Skylar and Killian as they work together. Soon, Killian will have to make a hard choice to avoid losing the woman who’s come to mean more to him than he anticipated.

4. BRIDGED by Kendra Elliot

Genre: Mystery
My rating: 4.5 stars – A fantastic page-turner!

Bridged is the second novel in the Callahan & McLane series. The book starts when a congressman is found hung from a bridge. The FBI and the Oregon State Police join forces to investigate. Special Agent Ava McLane and Detective Mason Callahan are the main protagonists. They fell for each other in the previous book, and are now planning a life together. When more bodies turn up, it raises the possibility of a serial killer on the loose. The urgent case and the return of Ava’s mentally ill twin put a strain on Callahan and McLane’s relationship. With plenty of action and a gripping mystery, Bridged was a real page-turner. I liked it a lot more than the first book.

3. SHADE ME by Jennifer Brown

Genre: Mystery, Young Adult
My rating: 5 stars – Absolutely must read. It’s outstanding!!!

Shade Me is book 1 of the Nikki Kill trilogy (yeah, she has an interesting surname). She’s your average high school student, except for one thing. Nikki has a condition called synesthesia, which causes her to “see” emotions and words in colors. One night, Nikki gets a call from Peyton Hollis, the queen bee at school. They’ve never spoken to each other, so Nikki is confused. Peyton is later found critically injured, and the only number saved on her phone is Nikki’s. This draws her into the search for Peyton’s attacker. Nikki uses her synesthesia to follow clues that could lead to the culprit. Nikki also teams up with the lead investigator, Detective Chris Martinez, who takes interest in her. As the investigation progresses, they get closer to uncovering a sinister plot that may even be personal for Nikki Kill herself.

2. SKYWARD by Brandon Sanderson

Genre: Science Fiction
My rating: 5 stars – Absolutely must read. It’s outstanding!!!

After finding this book at the local bookstore, I knew I had to have it. The description! And the amazing cover! Skyward takes place on a planet called Detritus, in the distant future. What’s left of the human race is stranded there, at war with an alien species known as the Krell. The protagonist, Spensa Nightshade, has dreamed of becoming a pilot for her people’s air/space force since she was a little girl. This dream is seemingly lost after her father (who’s a pilot) is killed when he deserts his team during a crucial battle. Despite being shunned as the daughter of a coward, Spensa is not one to give up. She’s determined to attend Flight School. After stumbling into a remote cavern, Spensa makes an amazing discovery that might just help her realize her dream.

1. MORE THAN FOREVER by Jay McLean

Genre: Romance
My rating: 5 stars – Absolutely must read. It’s outstanding!!!

And finally, my favorite read of the year.  This is book 4 of the More Than romance series. I read the first book, where More Than Forever’s main characters are introduced. I really liked them, so I wanted to read their story. Lucy Preston is a normal teenage girl who loves books (that’s one thing that drew me to her story). When she’s just fifteen, her mother dies from a terminal disease. Cameron Gordon, who coaches Lucy’s little brothers in baseball, first meets Lucy around this time. Something compels him to hang around the Preston house in those hard times. Cameron wants to make Lucy happy again. The two soon grow close and eventually become inseparable. The book spans several years of their relationship, and yes there’s a happy ending. I don’t consider that a spoiler.

***

And that’s all. Those are my 10 favorite reads of the year. As you could tell, most of what I read is in my favorite genres: mystery, sci-fi, thriller, and romance. I like them about equally, so I can’t pick just one. It would probably be mystery, as I enjoy books that have investigators and detectives as main characters. I once wished to become a private investigator, in fact. I’m really good at finding information online, but I don’t think I’m fit for law enforcement. 

Anyway, back to the topic. This is my last post of the year. I was planning to post a list of my favorite reads of the decade, but I decided to wait until January. It’s going to be a larger list, so waiting will give me more time to pick all those books out. So, until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment