REPOST: FAVORITE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS FROM BOOKS

Hello! Today's Friday, so I wanted to publish a non-book-related post. While thinking of ideas, I looked through my old posts and found this one. I decided to renew it, since most of the images it contained got lost. I am also planning a follow-up to this post, so that's why I'm re-publishing it. Apart from replacing the missing images, I left it just the way it was. Without further ado:
 
***
 
Good morning, everyone! I’m back with the first blog post that’s not a book review. I’ve published a bunch of those in the time since my last status update post. That was back in June, a whopping four months ago. I can’t believe time flew by this fast! Today, I’m publishing a special blog post. I've shared lists of my favorite books, both from last decade and from previous years. This time I’m writing about my favorite characters. I’ve read so many books that quite a few characters have stuck with me. Some of these are popular, and others not well-known. This list is in no particular order. I am also including images for some of the characters, at least those that I could find. For others, I fan-cast an actor I think would portray them well. Here it goes:
 
***
 
Spensa NightshadeSkyward by Brandon Sanderson
Few characters have left an impression on me as quickly as Spensa Nightshade. She’s a teenager who lives on a remote planet with what remains of humankind. Spensa’s greatest wish is to be a spaceship fighter pilot, like her father. Unfortunately, the latter was declared a traitor after turning on his team during a crucial battle. This puts pretty much everyone against Spensa. She doesn’t let this stop her. Spensa is resolute, eager to prove what she’s made of. Her name is also cool and weird at the same time. It fits, as Spensa is a weird girl, though charming and spirited as well.
 
 
 
Camryn BennettThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
If a fictional character could be a kindred soul, Camryn would be mine. Like me, she’s not the kind of person to settle for an ordinary life. Camryn wants something different. She needs purpose and fulfillment, things worth getting out of bed every morning. Camryn doesn’t understand why most people just accept their existence as it is. She’s not afraid to dream bigger. Camryn is also comfortable with her looks and sexuality. I admire a woman like that, even though it was Andrew who brought down Camryn’s shyness.
 
Andrew ParrishThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
Andrew is the kind of guy I aspire to be. At least, the guy he becomes at the end of the book, not the one he was at the start. Andrew is much like Camryn when he’s introduced. He was also searching for something worth living for. Andrew had a secret that rocked his life and made him leave everyone to find himself. Camryn turned out to be exactly who he needed. She became Andrew’s reason to exist. Now, that’s not to say Andrew fixated on Camryn like Bella did on Edward. Andrew has other things that give him purpose, like great friends.
 
 
Lizzy GardnerAbducted by T.R. Ragan
I admire strong, inspiring women, and Lizzy is among my favorites. She survived an abduction when she was a teenager. This led Lizzy to become a private investigator and a self-defense instructor. Lizzy wanted to teach other women how to defend themselves from attackers. She’s also well-adjusted despite fighting evil every day. Lizzy is a strong believer in justice. Over the course of her six-book series, Lizzy brings down lots of criminals. She has trusted assistants who are as compelling as she is.
 

Maven Boundary Crossed by Melissa F. Olson
This is a character I could get judged for liking. Maven’s not bad, just different. She’s a centuries-old, powerful vampire who looks around nineteen. Maven owns a coffee shop that’s a front for her headquarters. She is the leader of the supernatural world in Boulder, Colorado. Maven is one of those rulers who didn’t want power. She’s intimidating and strict, but soft on the inside. Maven genuinely cares for her subjects and for human life. Despite having been a vampire for ages, she’s retained enough of her humanity. The book series Maven is a part of isn’t over yet, so I look forward to seeing what’s next for her.
 
Luna LovegoodHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Of course I had to include a Harry Potter character. What kind of bookworm would I be if I didn’t? I like Hermione too, but chose Luna for this list because she’s in my House, Ravenclaw. Luna is a weird yet charismatic and pleasant girl. She’s also an unerringly loyal friend. That mural she painted on her bedroom ceiling was awesome. One of Luna’s best qualities may also be one of her main drawbacks, though. She's so open-minded she’ll believe in outlandish stuff. Crumple-Horned Snorkacks? Nargles? Still, Luna isn’t a girl I’d ever write off. She’s cool and charming in her own way.
 

Detective Chris MartinezShade Me by Jennifer Brown
Detective Martinez is another of those men I want to be like. He’s a major supporting character in the Nikki Kill mystery series. Chris helps the titular character solve a mystery in the first book. He goes on to protect Nikki when a strong antagonist emerges. Chris is very young for a police detective, so he and Nikki are close in age. Their relationship grows steadily over the trilogy. Nikki trusts Chris because of her synesthesia. She can “see” emotions as colors, and Chris glows yellow—Nikki’s color for justice. Chris proves himself as both a cop and a man you can count on.

Roux Also Known As by Robin Benway
This is probably the least-known character on this list, and that’s a shame. Roux (pronounced ‘Roo’) is a major supporting character in a YA spy duology. She befriends the protagonist, teen spy Maggie Silver. Maggie enrolled at Roux’s private school to fulfill her first assignment. Roux is a former queen bee who became a social pariah. She’s super wealthy and lives alone in a sweet Upper East Side apartment. Roux’s parents are traveling all the time. Contrary to what one may think at first, Roux is not conceited or mean. She’s a funny, bright, and charismatic girl. Roux ended up becoming my favorite character in the series. She’s the kind of best friend anyone would love to have.
 
 
Izabel SeyfriedKilling Sarai by J.A. Redmerski
Izabel (formerly Sarai) is one of the most original characters in fiction I’ve come across. She’s an American girl who spent years as the prisoner of a Mexican cartel boss. Izabel managed to escape the man’s clutches by hitching a ride with a visitor. The man, a fellow American, turned out to be contract killer Victor Faust. There was no turning back after this. All those years in hell turned Izabel into a hardened woman willing to take justice into her own hands. Izabel left Sarai behind forever to become a contract killer. She still remains a good person. That Izabel chose to kill bad people for a living doesn’t mean she's evil. This is why I find her so intriguing.
 
Micah LandryFinding Focus by Jiffy Kate
Although I like the heroine of this book, I found Micah a good role model. He’s one of those southern gentlemen types, but that’s not all there is to him. Micah does have a bit of a bad boy reputation. He’s known for sleeping around, as he doesn’t do relationships. Micah has no emotional baggage, so I wondered why he was a no-attachments kind of guy at first. When Micah meets Sheridan Reed, he changes his ways. She sweeps him off his feet. Micah becomes faithful to her as soon as he realizes he has feelings for her. Despite being a ladies’ man, Micah is not the type to cheat. He is completely devoted to his girl, which raised my opinion of him. Micah’s the kind of guy I would like to be.
 

Rachel Knight Guilt by Association by Marcia Clark
As book characters go, Rachel Knight is memorable and intriguing. She’s a Special Trials prosecutor from Los Angeles. Rachel loves her job so much that she even relishes the long hours. This is despite the pittance that public servants get paid. Rachel goes above and beyond for justice. She’s not afraid to paint outside the lines every now and then, either. Though Rachel is a character to look up to, she has her odd quirks. Rachel is a bit of a health nut, so she usually orders unappealing meals. This means she can’t resist picking at her friends’ delicious food. It would drive me nuts in real life, but I still like Rachel. I mean, she’s a fictional character.

Brandi VaughnUnforgiven by Cat Miller
Brandi is a protagonist in my current favorite vampire fiction series. She’s a vampire, though unlike Maven, Brandi is neither centuries-old nor a ruler. Brandi is a princess of sorts, though. Her father is one of the three ruling heads of the Vampire Nation. At first Brandi is a young woman unsure of her identity. Seeking to find herself, Brandi sheds her old persona and adopts a new one. This turns out about as well as you can imagine. The experience gives Brandi valuable life lessons, and she comes out a better person. Brandi is also one of the most powerful characters in this series. She’s a pyrokinetic, the only one to exist in a long while.
 
 
Carlisle CullenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Twilight series may not be literary masterpieces, but they still have some great characters. Carlisle isn’t just one of my favorites. He’s also one of the first male characters I aspired to be like when I was young. Carlisle is wise, open-minded yet not gullible, and confident. He’s an excellent leader as well, rivaling the likes of Dumbledore in my opinion. And though Carlisle is a pacifist, that doesn’t mean he’s a wimp. He’ll fiercely fight for the people he loves. I also see Carlisle as a parental role model. He lets his children make their own choices without judgment, while still not being an overly lenient fool.

Braden CarmichaelOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
As a guy, I read romance books for the female protagonist. Jocelyn, the heroine of On Dublin Street, is a likable and compelling girl. Braden is her love interest. He’s good-natured and a successful businessman. I somewhat wish I was one, which is part of why I admire Braden. He is also chivalrous and warm toward Jocelyn. It’s possible that having a younger sister helped teach Braden how to properly treat women. Braden also knows how to get what he wants without being a jerk about it. Lots of guys would pursue Jocelyn only for her looks. Braden isn’t like that; he cares about Jocelyn as a person.
 
Skylar StoneThe Profiler’s Daughter by P.M. Steffen
Skylar is the protagonist of a rather unknown mystery series. It’s really good, so it should be more popular. Sky’s full name is Skylar Winthrop Stone, which is one of the coolest names ever. She’s a beautiful socialite from Boston who comes from old money. Skylar consults with the local police as a profiler. Her father was one too. Although Sky is rich and powerful, she’s not stuck-up. She does police work to help people. It helps that Skylar is smart and quick-witted. She does have a weird trait: kleptomania. Sky’s wealthy, so obviously she doesn’t steal for gain. It’s just a quirky trait. I think Skylar’s positive qualities more than make up for that little flaw.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment